Tuesday 4 November 2014

New Engine from Holland

So the engine that came with the bike was completely shot.  The head and cams were done in, at some stage the clutch had exploded and the debris left behind had trashed one of the main bearings on the crankshaft. 

So I figured that the engine that came with the bike needed some serious surgery.  In fact it was a write off.  A project for another day.

The difficult thing to do at this juncture in a project like this, is to make the decision as to what to do next.  Trash the whole bike?  Sell on what serviceable parts there are left or look for a way to keep going?

Guess which option I took?  So I started looking for parts to replace those that were trashed or a whole new engine.  

So you get to the point where you think; is it really worth putting any more cash into this bike.  Well you all know the answer to that one.  If you are a marine, it's impossible to leave a man behind.  In the same way, it's virtually impossible for me to abandon a bike.  So I started looking for another engine.  These motors are pretty hard to come by as they have been used for drag racing for so long, they have all been snapped up.  However, I found a guy in Holland who was a drag racer and had moved on to Hyabusa engines for his drag racing and just happened to have a TSCC engine for sale.  It was a quinky dinky that my son was going to University in Holland so I was on my way.  And this is what I picked up. A complete engine and a spare set of barrels and pistons and another head.
 


Now I needed to see if it was in good enough condition to slide it into the frame.  I dropped the sump and the mesh filter (not much to see there) and took the clutch cover off to see what that looked like.


No comments:

Post a Comment