Sunday 9 November 2014

Installing New Engine

I'm working on the notion that I am not going to strip this motor down to it's crank.  I'm going to put it into the bike and see what it sounds like.  I know this is not the most secure way of determining the worth of any engine but I have a disassembled motor already littering my congested workspace and I have no more room.  My idea is that I'll get this one going and I might even get it back on the road with this motor.  In the meantime I will reassemble the old motor with new parts (or refubished) and then switch them over.  That way I'll know I have a good engine in it.  I'll then strip the new engine and so on.  Truth is I probably would never have know the old engine had a bad main bearing.  How would you know?

So let's get the "new" engine in the frame.
 The engine was propped up on a couple of car ramps.  I build up some timber supports and built a shelf across to the frame.
 And pushed it across.


 I used a car jack to support the transfer platform.

 And got it in nicely.  I then had to find a couple of helpers to lift the engine slightly so I could remove the platform and again rest it on the car jack so I could adjust the height to get the bolts in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment