Saturday 9 August 2014

Engine Strip - Getting The Cases Apart

I had a couple of problems with the bolts on the cases.  One bolt which was recessed too much and didn't allow me to get a wrench on it squarely, got rounded off and kept slipping.  Until it was prized off with a six sided tight fitting long reach socket. I had been using a polygonal socket that had stripped the corners of the bolt rather than gripping the sides of the bolt, which is how the 6 sided wrench works.  You learn stuff every day. This bolt is right up against the side casing and requires a thin skinned socket.
 Not this fat thing that I was using.
 Which resulted in this nicely rounded off bolt head:
The other thing I did was to snap one of the bolts when I was using my new power impact driver.



No comments:

Post a Comment